Medtec Ireland provides a platform for suppliers together with professionals to meet and do business. The 2015 event hosted a number of exhibitors and innovations from global leaders to niche suppliers who are leaders in their own field. Galway represents the largest concentration of activity in the Irish medical device industry with over 40% of people in the sector working there.
Few locations can offer such secure and consistent performance as Ireland:
- 15 of the 20 largest global medical device companies have R&D and manufacturing facilities located in Ireland, especially centred around Galway.
- new investments continue to be made from this year to the next, most recently by Bausch + Lomb, Zimmer, Johnson & Johnson, Hollister, BD and Stryker.
- Ireland is a lively hotbed of start-up activity for both medical technology and finished medical devices.
- Irish universities have adapted to the high demand for biomedical engineering with dedicated teaching courses and leading-edge research facilities.
- 50% of ventilators used in acute hospitals worldwide
- 33% of the world's contact lenses
- 30 million people with diabetes use Irish made injectable devices
- 2nd largest exporter of MedTech products in Europe
- €9.4 billion in MedTech exports annually